(NSFW) In this episode, Ed regales Nate and Chris with tales from his visit to the iconic Rowley Farmhouse Ales in Santa Fe, New Mexico. The studio comes alive with the popping of corks as the trio embarks on a beer-tasting adventure. The first sip is the uniquely crafted “Teosinte,” a farmhouse ale where Oaxacan green dent corn, and Teosinte a Mexican grass take center stage creating a delightful symphony of corn sweetness and funk. As they savor the ale, and try to use words to descibe the grassy notes they are tasting. But somehow fall short.
Despite John’s absence in Tucson, he ensures Ed has a splendid time at Rowley, known not only for its exceptional brews but also for its outstanding food. The culinary highlights, including pineapple upside-down cake, gyro tacos, and red chili fries, become part of the storytelling, creating a sensory-rich experience.
The tasting journey continues with “Supernatant,” a robust creation featuring Norwegian Farmhouse yeast and Grüner Veltliner lees from Vivac Winery. The beer, bottled with Alfalfa honey, unfolds as a crisp and funky sour ale—a perfect companion for shared moments with friends. The third and final tasting, “If You Must – Tablas Creek,” offers a glimpse into the world of lactobacillus Berlin-style weissbier, aged in Tablas Creek Esprit de Tablas Blanc barriques on fresh Mourvèdre must. The result is a nuanced beer with notes of grape skin tannins, oak-derived vanillin, and a refreshing tartness. This one makes Nate reach for the Tums!
Our Guest Information:
- Rowley Farmhouse Ales – https://rowleyfarmhouse.com/
- Teosinte Farmhouse Ale – https://untappd.com/b/rowley-farmhouse-ales-teosinte/4315168
- Supernatant Sour Ale – https://untappd.com/b/rowley-farmhouse-ales-supernatant/4352763
- If You Must Sour Ale – https://untappd.com/b/rowley-farmhouse-ales-if-you-must-tablas-creek/4823051
- Rowley and Tombstone Episode – https://hoppycraftsmen.beer/episodes/hcpc31-tombstone-brewing-and-rowley-farmhouse-ales-church-bells-killer-bees-and-road-trips/
Music Credit: Takotsubo Men
- The assorted sounds of three ageing humans hitting things in a studio for five days. Beautifully nasty and pretty vile at times but ultimately gorgeous. Enjoy!
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TakotsuboMen
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/TakotsuboMen
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/TakotsuboMen
- Instagram: @hoppycraftsmen
- Twitter: @hoppycraftsmen
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Hoppycraftsmen/
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Blog: http://hoppycraftsmenpodcast.com/
- YouTube: Hoppy Craftsmen – Craft Beer Podcast
Buy Us a Beer!
For as little as a dollar a month you can help a bearded white guy drink a good craft beer. Your generous donation will help supply thousands with the gift of more podcasts and we are pretty sure inappropriate humor as well. Invest in Us!
Rate us on iTunes!
Tell A Friend!
Tell someone you know about our show! If you know that a friend likes or loves craft beer tell them to give us a listen. Or if you know someone who is new to craft beer and you are tired of telling them about the scene, let us be your soap box! Or have an amazing whale that you want to share with the world. Go on your social media platform of choice and give us a shout out. Use the hashtag #hoppycraftsmen and we’ll respond in kind. Probably in some form of emoji and maybe a super rad type of comment. You get the picture.