Episode 05 Review: Operation Wilderness
(NSFW) Wait is that a guest host? Yup! This week Brandon and Chris talk craft beer with contributing author, for the Hoppy Craftsmen’s blog, Nate Libby. They talk about the AZBrewers Guild events, your holiday beer selections, and craft beer swag. But mostly Nate just gushes over Wilderness Brewing for 60 mins.
InDepth Beer Reviews:
- Firestone Walker – Firestone 20 (XX) Anniversary Ale
- Rating – 4.5
- Style – American Imperial Ale
- ABV – 13%
- A vibrant blend of beers aged no less than one year in a multitude of barrels and blended together by none other than the wine makers of Napa Valley to help make the rich/bold taste that is the 10th Anniversary of this Ale, for the Breweries 20th This limited release was brewed to be enjoyed now, or cellared for another time, while we decided to enjoy now…there’s no doubt this would have only aged well.
- Deschutes – The Dissident 2016 Reserve
- Rating – 4
- Style – Belgian-style Brown Ale
- ABV – 10.9%
- The second of our two barrel aged beers for this episode, this brew was aged for 22 months with cherries in French Oak wine barrels. Making for a sweet yet tart flavor that just rolls over your tongue. While Deschutes is better known for their hoppy and stouty brews, they have really come alive lately with the specially beers, and good for them for expanding and experimenting, whether it works or not it’s fun to try new things.
- Arizona Wilderness – Big Guy Rye
- Rating – 3.75
- Style –Double IPA
- ABV – 8%
- Where do I start, if you live in Arizona (esp. the Phoenix area), and you’re a fan of craft beer, you know about the beards…if not, you are missing out! These guys are doing amazing things with beer! From the Refuge IPA to the Superstition Stout and everything in between, their brews knock it out of the park. If you are into supporting local, look no further, from the freshly picked fruits they use in the beers they brew, to the farm fresh veggies in their dining room…it doesn’t get much more local than Arizona Wilderness.
- Arizona Wilderness – Picacho Pecan Pie
- Rating – 4
- Style – English Brown Ale
- ABV – 7%
- Anything that’s brewed with full pecan pies has to be good, right? The guys at Wilderness are just breaking to mold when it comes to craft beer innovation, and they are being recognize nation and worldwide for their accomplishments. Keep up the great work gents.
*All rating an average of Chris and Brandon’s Untappd ratings.
Our Guest’s Articles:
- Instagram: @hoppycraftsmen
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Hoppycraftsmen/
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Blog: http://hoppycraftsmen.wordpress.com
Rate us on iTunes!
Want to help us reach a bigger audience and keep the episodes coming? Then head over to iTunes and Give us a rating and feedback!